Download paths, NZB, & auto-unrar oddities

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Download paths, NZB, & auto-unrar oddities

Postby t3chnomanc3r » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:52 pm

1. Why groups do file no longer download & auto-unrar to the folder/group paths?

If I flag files for download using a folder of groups with a download path set, the unrared parts end up in my auto-unrar path while the non-rar parts end up in the download path. This is accompanied by the error message about default unrar path i my logs. I have unrar path set (even with out it did this), that's where they go, but seems the should just unrar to the original folders the RAR's were in.

2. Why setting the path at folder level does not seem to affect the groups beneath even though those groups have no explicit path set?

I setup my folders with paths for downloads, under all prior versions the groups in the folders used the folder's setting unless I explicitly overrode it at the group level. 6.x seems to ignore the folder's setting even if I uncheck the path in the groups. As a work around I have been selecting the folder + groups and setting the path for all at once.

3. Why suddenly I am getting downloads under the program folder despite having explicitly set the download paths at folder, group, and manually on the qued downloads list of posts load via nzb files?

This is especially odd behavior I noticed to today. I downloaded a bunch of NZB's, then double clicked on them (one at a time) from the "Files List". The resulting downloads end up as sub-folders of the NB program folder, show as relative paths under "Download Path" in the Download List, can't be launched from File List (error about File/URL), and even after "Assign new path" persist downloading to the NB program folder though "Download Path" reflects my change.

#1 & #2 I've been deal with for months trying different things hoping updates would change what I was getting. #3 is new today but very much a problem since my downloads go to another drive entirely for space reasons.

Thanks!
t3chnomanc3r
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/04/03

Re: Download paths, NZB, & auto-unrar oddities

Postby Quade » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:52 am

1 - If you set an unrar path, that's where the files are going to unrar to. If you download to a folder named for the group and set "Add a Path Prefix" (autopar options). It'll bring the group along to the unrar path. If you don't set this option, it just saves them into the unrar path.

2 -
-If you load a topic, a parent of other groups. Then all the loaded groups will use the path set in the topic or the default path.
-If you set a path in an individual group and load just that group, when you add to download it'll use that path.
-If you don't have a path set in the group, It'll use the parent's path if set or the default path of the parent doesn't have a path set.

3 - Shouldn't be possible. What I mean is in win7 and vista, the regular user can't write to "Program Files". If you run Newsbin "as administrator" it can but, otherwise it can't.

Maybe you should wipe all the paths out of the configuration file and start over. Keep in mind that NZB's have their own pathing that's different from header downloads.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby t3chnomanc3r » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:20 am

OK, I think these all tie back to a central problem:

Code: Select all
[23:27:46] ERROR   - AssembleFiles: Error Default Download Path Used:G:\downloads\nntp\:0

Using "prepend subject to filename" does not work as I expect. If I check that, then I get the above message and the file is in my root download folder. I had checked this because many audio files are badly/not tagged leaving me with "<track#>-<title>" masked files from various artists & albums in one folder.

So it's not unrar or any other path settings since all my troubles described revolve around mp3/flac downloads which have an extra step based on MP3 Download Path Settings. How does "AssembleFiles" and it's error factor into that?

I've stripped my nbi of all per-group/topic options & then redone my settings for each, confident it's not something there.
t3chnomanc3r
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/04/03

Postby Quade » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:16 pm

AssembleFiles: Error Default Download Path Used:G:\downloads\nntp\:0

I confirm that this is a problem
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97