Upgrading to v6 (from v5.59)

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Upgrading to v6 (from v5.59)

Postby ppan » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:37 am

I am sorry if this has been covered before;
I tried to upgrade from v5.59 to 6.21 and also switch computers at the same time (original PC had XP, new one has WIN 7 64bit).
Before the move, there were several files in the download and AutoPar lists.

I installed 6.21 on the WIN7 PC, copied over the data folder and edited the configuration file to point to the new data folder location.

1. Is there supposed to be some conversion of the spool files? Nothing happened when starting v6.21 (except that the download list was loaded)
2. However, the download list was all wrong (it showed files that had already been downloaded in v.5.59/XP)
ppan
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 08/24/09

Re: Upgrading to v6 (from v5.59)

Postby Quade » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:10 am

Before the move, there were several files in the download and AutoPar lists.

I would say it's unlikely these will survive the transfer. I'd suggest finishing the download on the first machine.

1. Is there supposed to be some conversion of the spool files? Nothing happened when starting v6.21 (except that the download list was loaded)

You have to manually import the headers. Right click/Post storage on the groups. I'd try a couple smallish groups and get an idea of how long it takes. If you have large groups with large retention, it might take a good long time.

2. However, the download list was all wrong (it showed files that had already been downloaded in v.5.59/XP)

I'd delete the downloads.db3 on the new machine and let Newsbin re-create it.

You need to watch folder names if you try to use the same NBI and data folder in 7 that you did in XP. Microsoft tightened security and changed some paths so, paths used in XP are now "Read only" in win7. If you're using a non-microsoft data folder ("C:\Data\" for example), this probably doesn't apply.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support