Running two different versions of Newsbin

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Running two different versions of Newsbin

Postby dane » Sat May 14, 2022 11:25 pm

Hi - I currently run two different newsbin layouts - window layout, group subscriptions and such - though many of the fundamentals - wish list, search list - are common to both.

Is there a way to install 2 separate versions (say 6.82 and 6.9) on the same machine and switch back and forth for different tasks? It seems that the conflicts between the two systems would be overwhelming of any benefit, but I wonder if you have any thoughts on how you could run 2 separate versions (though not at the same time) without totally screwing everything up. I'd like to run the current production version for almost all things, but for specific tasks that might require greater control of the download process I'd like to be able to run 6.82 which handles this nicely.

Thanks,
DaDane
dane
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/25/05

Re: Running two different versions of Newsbin

Postby Quade » Sun May 15, 2022 3:20 pm

You can run two different versions, even simultaneously as long as they don't share the same data folder.

1 - Copy the NBI to a different data folder
2 - Edit the copied NBI to change the data folder to point to the new data folder.
3 - Generate a new shortcut that starts Newsbin with the copied NBI in the command line.
4 - Generate a new shortcut for the old Newsbin passing the old NBI in the commandline

Newsbin will regenerate all the data folder files in the new data folder.

You have to use the command line because there's a central storage location for the location of the NBI and each time you run a different instance of Newsbin it gets overwritten so it need to be overridden in both instances.

I'd suggest making backups of critical files like the NBI and the DownloadsV2.db3. In case anything goes wrong.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby dane » Mon May 23, 2022 7:04 pm

Thanks Quade - I've got the two versions running - took a bit of time to dot the I's and cross the T's. Only problem is that both former .nbi files shared the same wish list. Now the wrong version has possession of the wish list. Is it possible to move the this list from one version to another? or where does it live, can it be copied?

Thanks,
DaDane
dane
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Tue May 24, 2022 1:02 pm

Only problem is that both former .nbi files shared the same wish list.

The wish/download/failed and in 6.90 files list all reside in DownloadsV2.db3

So copying that file between the two data folders can move the wish list.

In each instance, I'd select "Options/Open Data Folder" to confirm they really are working off different data folders.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby dane » Tue May 24, 2022 3:22 pm

Thanks Quade - that'll be helpful. I was just logging in to let you know that I had found a method for moving the files when I saw your post.

I highlighted all the files in the wish list, right clicked and chose 'create nzb from files' which saved the listing to disc. I could then import the nzb into the other version through the file/load nzbs menu option and move them to the wish list. A multi-step kludge, but it worked.

As always, thanks for the help, support and for newsbin!
DaDane
dane
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby dane » Thu May 26, 2022 2:40 pm

Hello - sorry to be a pain, but there's something at the next level that I'd like to ask about. Both instances of Newsbin (6.90 & 6.82) seem to be using the same GuiItems.db3 - there isn't one in the 6.82 install, though NB seems to have generated all the other .db3 files.

I copied the GuiItems.db3 from the 6.90 install to the data folder of the 6.82, but it still seems to be pointing to the 6.90 install. As you suggested, I checked and the data files for both are correct. Is there a way to get NB to recognize the local GuiItems, or to create one of its own?

Thanks
DaDane
dane
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Fri May 27, 2022 11:33 am

There's no real problem with them sharing GUIItems. It just contains some graphical settings and a backup copy of the registration key.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby dane » Fri May 27, 2022 1:55 pm

Thanks - the two versions are smoothly running side-by-side.
dane
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Return to V6 Technical Support