Search Age Suddenly Greatly limited

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Search Age Suddenly Greatly limited

Postby fibonaci » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:26 am

As recently as a couple weeks back my Search function returned some entries (although I couldn't always download them because they were too old) as old as 1200 days. I uniformly got 800 days of listings. Now after an update, my search results range between 110-200 days at the oldest. I noticed the number of results returned is capped at 2000, but I can't find the setting for that. What has changed? This isn't the wonderful Search function I've been paying $15 per quarter for over the past several years. Help! Image link not allowed for unregistered users Image link not allowed for unregistered users Image link not allowed for unregistered users

Update: Get [22:32:30] ERROR Resolver: unable to open Source Data file when I try to check the age of my downloaded headers for various groups. I'm going to try redownloading headers and see what that does. I never noticed my headers didn't transfer with the update from V5 to V6, as I usually just use the Search function to snoop and scoop. But the Search just isn't what it used to be.
fibonaci
n00b
n00b

Re: Search Age Suddenly Greatly limited

Postby Quade » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:12 am

Search is the same as always. You only get 2000 hits per search. It's been that way for a long time too. You have several ways to focus the search.

1 - Use a more detailed search string

2 - Select the groups you want it to search in so, it's not looking in every group on usenet (first drop down, second row).

You can also ask it to pull the next 2000 hits with the arrow looking button next to the "Internet" field in the toolbar.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Re: Search Age Suddenly Greatly limited

Postby fibonaci » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:34 am

Thanks -- didn't know about the arrow to pull the next 2000 hits. Very helpful. That fixed my problem!
fibonaci
n00b
n00b

Return to V6 Technical Support