NZBGeek is doing something different with their files.

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

NZBGeek is doing something different with their files.

Postby wngnt » Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:09 pm

Apparently there is a new format of .nzb file on Geek. I currently focus on HVEC files due to their small size and now they all show up as incomplete when downloading; are successfully reconstituted from the par's but then are listed on the Failed Files tab which of course now I ignore.

I'm using 6.81 build 5080 and always double click on the .nzb file to start the download.

If I grab nzb's from another indexer they work just fine or if I use NZBGet (which I'd rather not since I'm so used to NBPro) they work fine too.

I am surprised that I'm only the second post about this. A search for NZBGeek turns up only one other. I though there would be more people noticing the same behaviour.

Is there a plan to accommodate these new (weird?) .nzb files from Geek?

Thanks
wngnt
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 08/06/04

Re: NZBGeek is doing something different with their files.

Postby Quade » Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:25 pm

I'm using 6.81 build 5080 and always double click on the .nzb file to start the download.

By now 6.81 is relatively old. 6.90B12 is available here in the forum. I'd suggest using the beta. It's had significant changes to handle many of these weird NZBs.

The one rule of thumb with new NZB's is then need to be fed directly to the download list and not pass through the post lists first.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby wngnt » Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:12 pm

Thanks Quade. I'll update to the Beta and see what happens.

So double-clicking or actually in my case a single click from that download list that appears at the bottom of my screen doesn't feed the nzb directly?
wngnt
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby wngnt » Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:17 pm

Yep, just tested it (the beta) with one of those weird .nzb's and it works great. :D

Thanks!
wngnt
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Chuck D. Bones » Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:17 pm

This explains what I'm experiencing with B12: double-clicking an nzb shoves it into the DL list directly and starts the DL. Not sure I like that enough to keep B12.
Chuck

It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!
- Friedrich Nietzsche
Chuck D. Bones
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/03/03

Postby Quade » Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:11 pm

If you want these increasingly bizarre NZB's to work properly, they need to go directly to the download list.

If you feel the need to micro-manage, you could use multiple NZB autoload folders. Then can be individually configured to queue top, bottom and to go to autoload specific download and unrar paths.

Writing about this, I thought of an idea that might making using the post list again work. I wrote a note to look into it.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Chuck D. Bones » Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:39 pm

Got it. Measures & countermeasures.
Chuck

It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!
- Friedrich Nietzsche
Chuck D. Bones
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/03/03

Postby jh20001 » Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:26 pm

I think I am still having issues with this one.

I keep having to babysit every download from there as it ends....sits there working on it, then sends it to the failed files without an error under logging. Failed files list says File retry count exceeded.

However, I right-click, send back to download list, and then in download list quickly right click and say assemble incompletes and it works just fine.

So before creating a post here about it, I of course searched out what others are saying and found this. Which lead me to upgrade from 6.83 to 6.90 Build 5524 since it appears there is nothing else in beta beyond the current official release. I then click on another file there, it loads directly to the downloading files tabs, downloads, and then drops right into the failed files tab. All the files are sitting in the download folder though. So I do the same...add back to downloads tab, assemble incompletes...done. *scratches head*

What on Earth is NZBGeek doing to their files to cause so much trouble? Such troublemakers...lol
jh20001
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/30/06

Postby Quade » Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:59 pm

I'm not getting any other reports of problems with them so, I wonder of it's specific to what you're downloading.

I'm on geek so you can PM me some subjects to try.

I just downloaded a Geek NZB, fed it to Newsbin and it downloaded perfectly in one go. It was 8.5 gigs.

What news servers are you using?
Are you seeing a bunch of 430 errors in the log when this happens?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Quade » Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:34 pm

The NZB you pointed me to is 6 years old so, it's not something new. What I noticed is a majority of the files had a numeric code and the ".rar" had a complete filename as did the PAR files. It would have worked if it was either all of one or the other. Instead to Newsbin is looks like two distinct downloads. I was able to make the download work by manually loading the NZB after download and downloading the missing files by hand.

I can see if there's something I can do about it.

Are most of the problem files older files like this?

This isn't something "Assemble incompletes" can fix. In fact "Assemble incompletes" doesn't do anything useful anymore. Newsbin always assembles incompletes by default now.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby jh20001 » Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:59 am

Quade wrote:The NZB you pointed me to is 6 years old so, it's not something new. What I noticed is a majority of the files had a numeric code and the ".rar" had a complete filename as did the PAR files. It would have worked if it was either all of one or the other. Instead to Newsbin is looks like two distinct downloads. I was able to make the download work by manually loading the NZB after download and downloading the missing files by hand.

I can see if there's something I can do about it.

Are most of the problem files older files like this?

This isn't something "Assemble incompletes" can fix. In fact "Assemble incompletes" doesn't do anything useful anymore. Newsbin always assembles incompletes by default now.

That is strange since it failed without choosing that option. Unless...simply re-adding the download back to the list worked, but then why would it have failed in the first place? So strange. I'll have to throw more downloads at it when I get the time. I am mobile at the moment. I'll try to find some time to remote login if I have to or something.
jh20001
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:01 pm

Re-adding might have made it work. It's sort of a "luck of the draw download" problem. If it downloaded in a different order it might have worked without needing any manual intervention.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby jh20001 » Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:25 pm

Ok. I just acquired two episodes of something and it came through just fine. That's an improvement :)
If only geek didn't do odd stuff to the NZBs.... :/
jh20001
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Return to V6 Technical Support