download multiple with fewer clicks

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

download multiple with fewer clicks

Postby pfk505 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:28 am

Here is my scenario

I would like to load up multiple nzbs and download them all to a folder with minimal fuss. Once upon a time you could reliably load all nzbs to a single post list, select all and download to folder.

Due to obfuscation this is no longer reliable. Newsbin is a lot better than it used to be at determining original filenames but obfuscated nzbs still frequently unpack with obfuscated filenames. Download to folder named for nzb doesn't work with a single post list either, it just downloads to a folder named for the first nzb you loaded.

So my workaround for this, since what feels like time immemorial, is to load multiple nzbs but not to a single post list, click through each one, and then download to folder named for the nzb. This is growing so tedious as I regularly have hundreds of nzbs in a batch.

I'd like to hope that I'm just stupid and there's a way to do what I want that I haven't figured out yet. Any suggestions out there?
pfk505
n00b
n00b

Re: download multiple with fewer clicks

Postby Quade » Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:45 am

My advice is to feed them directly to the download list (which is the default in 6.90) and then make sure the pathing for the NZB download and unrar folders are to your taste.

Loading them to the post list is more for curiosity or if you need to re-download a specific file in the set.

Z:\DL\$(NZBFILE)\

Z:\UnRAR\$(NZBFILE)\

For example. For NZB Download and UnRAR paths,

You can also configure an "NZB Autoload" folder. When you save NZB's to this folder Newsbin will pick them up and download them. You can have multiple autoload folders with different setting each.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby pfk505 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:59 pm

Many thanks for the reply

I am using 6.90RC3 but have not noticed any difference in behaviour from 6.82. When I load multiple NZBs (not to a single post list), Newsbin tiles them all individually in the bar below the post list. I still have to click on each one, select the file(s), right click download to folder named for nzb. What do you mean by "feed them directly to the download list"?
pfk505
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:03 pm

Instead of using "Load NZB". You drag and drop them onto Newsbin or use the NZB Autoload function. This will feed them to the download list in one shot.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby pfk505 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:50 pm

Brilliant! That solved it. Thanks so much. I know I could solve a ton of issues by using automation tools but I like doing things manually (and I have really stubborn preferences), which is why I still use Newsbin exclusively after all these years. Really appreciate the support.
pfk505
n00b
n00b

Return to V6 Technical Support