6.90RC6: silent abort/exit when nearing disk full

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

6.90RC6: silent abort/exit when nearing disk full

Postby Tyador Borlu » Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:34 pm

This happens when there's still stuff in your download queue but the target disk is getting full.

Newsbin silently disappears, often after having unpacked a RAR archive and the disk is (nearly) full.

Notes:

- previous RC versions (and main releases) had the undesirable behaviour of spitting out zero-length RAR files, etc. when the disk full situation has been reached, so this is vastly superiour behaviour (contrasting with older versions which threw up a modal dialog about disk nearly full while still filling it up and overflowing in the background)

- this happens on a system with SSD target disk which has a bit of a peculiarity: it seems MSwindows is a bit confused (haven't been able to dig up WHY exactly), but the "bytes free" report in Windows Explorer is hurrying along at a ridiculous rate for the last ~40GByte. MAYBE MSWin has gotten a bit confused there as it is a disk with most directories marked as "Compressed" (blue color in Windows Explorer instead of black as a visual cue).

- RC6 hasn't spit in my soup yet by running the download queue empty and producing zero-length RAR files, so I very much prefer the new behaviour over the old.

Is this new "abort post haste" behaviour intentional?
Tyador Borlu
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/23/06

Re: 6.90RC6: silent abort/exit when nearing disk full

Postby Tyador Borlu » Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:56 pm

Ow, forgot to mention:

When this happens, there's nothing obvious in the log files either, just the usual DEBUG statements about PAR files, etc.
Tyador Borlu
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:47 pm

I just noticed this yesterday. It's the data folder filling up that crashes it. Download folder doesn't seem to. Probably too late to fix in 6.90. Might have to do a 6.91.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Tyador Borlu » Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:29 pm

:D Sounds like it: when this happens over here, the "Chunks" directory is pretty large (total # bytes in files). (I have learned to nuke it & clear the Windows trashcan (deleted files) before restarting NewsBin Pro when an anomaly happens.)

I'll eagerly await 6.91RC1 then. :wink:
Tyador Borlu
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:07 pm

The chunks folder should be self clearing. When the file assembles, most of the chunks are deleted. I believe it keeps #1 around.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support