How to stop immediate file download with 6.90?

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

How to stop immediate file download with 6.90?

Postby mikewt » Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:24 pm

I just installed the latest 6.9 version. When I double click on the nzb file I do NOT want to immediately start downloading the complete nzb contents. I want to select which parts in the nzb to download. I think I got this to work when I did not enter a path for the download, but now Newsbin Pro will not allow no path to be set for the download. How can I stop the immediate file download from starting?

Mike
mikewt
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/30/06

Re: How to stop immediate file download with 6.90?

Postby Quade » Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:44 am

You can use "Load" from the file menu to load NZB's into a post listing to browse through. The change is because many modern NZB's don't work well of they're not sent directly to the download list.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby jakew » Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:22 pm

Can you please please please change this back? Like the OP, I am used to double-clicking NZBs to have them loaded, then choosing which parts to download. Alternately, how about an execution flag to turn off auto-download for the associate filetype. So users like us could manually change the "Launch Newsbin" action to "newsbin64.exe "%1" /noAutoDL" or something like that?

Edit: I did some further reading and you wrote that 6.90 operates this way to handle obfuscated NZBs. Never touch the stuff. Perhaps consider an option to simply turn off "Obfuscated Mode" to revert back to the prior functionality.
jakew
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/05/03

Postby Quade » Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:18 pm

I can consider turning the option back but defaulting it to on. So it can be overridden.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby jakew » Sat Mar 26, 2022 5:04 pm

Quade wrote:I can consider turning the option back but defaulting it to on. So it can be overridden.

Many thanks! I was excited about 6.90 because I noticed that you had fixed the strange downloaded file list jumping that I had reported here https://forums.newsbin.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=42769&p=230073#p230073. But the way in which 6.90 handles double-clicked NZBs, plus the way that it names unRAR folders after a file inside of the archive instead of the archive itself (which I assume is also part of the obfuscated files issue), just make it impractical for me. I've reverted back to 6.82 for now. If turning off Obfuscated Mode would restore 6.82 functionality for both of those things, that would be awesome.
jakew
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/05/03

Postby crueby » Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:57 pm

I would also love to see that as an option, to just load the nzb rather than auto starting the download. Fine to have it default on, that makes sense, but an option for that would be terrific.

Thanks for all your work!
Chris
crueby
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/25/01

Postby Mav99 » Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:11 pm

I just upgraded to version 6.9 and, quite frankly, I'm shocked by the new behavior.
It completely ignores the NZB auto-download setting both for double-clicked or dropped NZB files.
In my opinion that's unacceptable. And unusable. Reverting back to 6.82 for now.

Besides, I never encountered any problems with "modern" NZBs from any source I use. They all work fine when started manually.
Not sure what "obfuscated" NZBs are, anyway. Many things these days get posted with obfuscated names and rar-passwords, so you usually need a source to find out what's what, but the NZBs created for these posts, usually work just fine.

So PLEASE add some an option to revert back to the old behavior as soon as possible!
Or just stop ignoring the setting that's already there...

EDIT: To me 6.90 is completely useless like that, even though I'd like to have the other fixes and improvements. But I don't want automatic downloads. NEVER EVER.
And I regard this behavior as a bug. Please FIX IT!
Mav99
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/15/05

Postby Mav99 » Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:08 am

So, any news on this issue?
Any Hotfix coming in?

Version 6.82 is slow as hell. I'm on a 12 core Ryzen with 32GB and a gigabit line and with that setup, sorting stuff, the "pending display update", takes longer than the actual download most of the time. It's really annoying and version 6.9 seemed to help with that. However, with automatically starting downloads it's unusable for me.

So PLEASE add an option to disable automatic downloads as soon as possible!
Preferably as a quick hotfix for version 6.9, not in a new version in the distant future... if ever...
Mav99
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/15/05

Return to V6 Technical Support