NZB DL not launching Newsbin automatically in browsers

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

NZB DL not launching Newsbin automatically in browsers

Postby xtc355 » Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:22 am

1. Did something change with the new version of Newsbin Pro? I use Binsearch quite a bit. Used to be that I can select the subject headers I want to download then click the "NZB" button and the browser would automatically launch Newbin and start downloading. Now all it does is download the actual nzb file. Is it possible to go back to how it used to be?

2. In Windows 10, it now takes 10 seconds for Newsbin to close. Is this now normal too? I even installed a clean windows 10 then Newsbin. Same thing.
xtc355
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/17/11

Re: NZB DL not launching Newsbin automatically in browsers

Postby Quade » Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:19 am

1 - If Newsbin is closed and you "open" an NZB. Windows should start Newsbin.

2 - If you "save" the NZB, Newsbin won't be opened.

What happens if you save an NZB then double-click it in Explorer? Does it start Newsbin?

What I think has happened that the connection between the NZB and Newsbin has been severed. It double-clicking the NZB in Explorer starts Newsbin then the browser should be able to start Newsbin. It the double-click doesn't start Newsbin then you need to re-associate NZB's with Newsbin.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby xtc355 » Sun Mar 20, 2022 3:50 pm

Thanks for the reply. This only happened recently I think. Both Firefox and Chrome browsers will only download the nzb files now with Binsearch instead of automatically starting Newsbin. If I then go to the download folder and click on the nzb file, it will start Newsbin and download the files.

There was an old thread here back in 2017 here, I think, mentioning a similar issue. One of the posts said to check file association of Newbin and NZB in Firefox. When I checked the settings in Firefox (settings->general, applications), there is no mention of Newsbin. Could it be it needs an update to work with the newest versions of Firefox and Chrome?
xtc355
n00b
n00b

Postby dot.net » Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:25 pm

I noticed this change with Firefox recently as well. Not sure if Firefox is attempting to lock down launching of external applications or whether I did something. This can be fixed easily, assuming the system-wide association of .nzb files to Newsbin is still in place from installation (if you double-click an NZB and it launches Newsbin, the association is in place):

1. Open settings on Firefox
2. Scroll down to the Applications portion of the Files and Applications section
3. Type in NZB into the Search file types or applications field
4. For my installation, it shows Newsbin NZB File for Content Type and Save File for Action
5a. Click the Action pulldown and change to Use NewsbinPro Newsgroup Reader... (this will automatically download and feed NZB files to Newsbin)
5b. Alternatively, change Action to Always ask and you'll be prompted each download whether to open with Newsbin or save the file
6. Close settings

I'm sure there is a place to make this change in Chrome too, but I don't use that browser...
dot.net
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/22/04

Postby xtc355 » Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:11 pm

That is similar to what I found in that old post too. My problem is that there are no mentions of "Newsbin" or "NZB" in the file association. Even on a freshly installed Windows 10 with Newsbin Pro and Firefox only.
xtc355
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:08 pm

You just need to right click the NZB in explorer and do an "Open with" and check the box for "always use...". If Newsbin is listed, select it. If it's not listed scroll down and select "Other application" then find the Newsbin exe in the "Program Files" folder.

I'm still wanting to know what happens if you double-click an NZB in explorer (the file list thing). If it doesn't start Newsbin then you need to do what I suggested above.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support