Current progress field doesn't update properly

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Current progress field doesn't update properly

Postby dane » Sat May 14, 2022 10:18 am

Good Morning - I'm running newsbin on a windows 10 machine and I'm stuck on vers. 6.82. For some of the things I do with newsbin, my (probably unusual) work process is to download parts of video files looking for something. I usually control this by opening up the listing in the download window and limiting the number of parts that I download - to see if I've got the right material. In 6.82 and earlier, in addition to the overall progress bar, the individual progress bars also displayed properly as the parts downloaded. However in 6.9, though the overall bar progresses, the individual bars sometimes don't fill at all, or more often only some of those that download actually display which is misleading.

Though I'm happy with 6.82 I'm concerned that as I get further away from the production version I will begin to miss important updates and new features - such as the handling of obfuscated items. Though I realize this is not a high priority item for most users, I'd hope that this is a fairly easy item to correct and would be added to the list of things for inclusion in a future version.

Thanks,
DaDane
dane
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/25/05

Re: Current progress field doesn't update properly

Postby Quade » Sat May 14, 2022 5:02 pm

I'm probably never going back to displaying things at a "per post" level like 6.82 did. The performance hit was just too high tracking and displaying all that.

On the other hand, I can look into why individual files don't fill out. I've seen it with file downloads that are resumed and some of the files are already on disk.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Re: Current progress field doesn't update properly

Postby dane » Sat May 14, 2022 11:16 pm

Thanks for the reply and for whatever you can do. As to "displaying things at a "per post" level", 6.9 pretends to track the rar files as they download - it just doesn't do it correctly. If you think you've downloaded 6 rar files, it may display that 4 have been downloaded. About the only indication that it's done is that the speed eventually drops to 0. And yes, continuing a post that has some parts on disk (say you had foisted that post off on the wish list) similarly displays some but not all of the parts that have already been downloaded when you restart the file.

I have another question relating to this, but it's different enough (and relevant to things besides this) that I'll start a new thread.

Thanks for your help and willingness to look at some of these functions.

DaDane
dane
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/25/05

Return to V6 Technical Support