My watch list is downloading all new files.

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

My watch list is downloading all new files.

Postby Wombat101 » Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:09 am

NB Pro 6.90RC1 - Build 5424

When I open NB it pulls in all new headers, and then instead of only pulling in files matching my Watch List terms:

success|business|entrepreneur|

It is downloading ALL new files. Literally every one. Eg:

Buddhadharma-May.2022.pdf

Any ideas as to what variable I should be looking at to toggle?
Wombat101
n00b
n00b

Re: My watch list is downloading all new files.

Postby Quade » Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:30 am

I'd upgrade to the actual release which is 5524.

Is this a header based watch list or internet search?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Wombat101 » Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:16 am

Header download.

And I will upgrade.
Wombat101
n00b
n00b

Postby Wombat101 » Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:16 am

I upgraded to the latest release, and the problem persists. It is still pulling ALL new files in the one newsgroup it pulls headers from.

Any suggestions?
Wombat101
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:16 am

Pulling from new posts is how it works.

The question is whether you have filters to limit what gets saved and downloaded. If you're downloading headers and all the new files get sent to download and this isn't what you want. I'd check the filters you're using to filter out the results. Have they changed?

What changed between it working and not working?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Wombat101 » Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:28 pm

Quade wrote:Pulling from new posts is how it works.

The question is whether you have filters to limit what gets saved and downloaded. If you're downloading headers and all the new files get sent to download and this isn't what you want. I'd check the filters you're using to filter out the results. Have they changed?

What changed between it working and not working?

The only difference is time. It used to work properly, now it does not. Quite literally I had used the filters for a year when the problem arose about a week or so ago. In an effort to narrow the issue, I shortened the search string to what it is here:

success|business|entrepreneur|

Which is downloading such gems as The.Cricketer.Magazine-August.2022.pdf and Le Monde - No. 24,109 [12 Jul 2022].pdf:)

Oh! and: Australian.Parrot.Magazine-July.2022.pdf

I mean, I am literally stumped. For all I know, it was a freaking Windows automatic update that did this.

I am more than willing to do whatever you suggest, up to and including:

1. Delete the search string and rebuild it. And if that doesn't work...
2. Reinstall Newsbin

So, what do you suggest? Newsbin is working, and I have it set to put matching strings at the top of the download queue, so it is still functional and I can just stop the D/L. I also have unlimited bandwidth form my ISP.

Do you want me to try anything in particular next, or delete the search and rebuild it?

PS: Oh goodie! I now have Quilters.Companion-July.2022.pdf Image link not allowed for unregistered users
Wombat101
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:02 am

Are you using a filter profile or a simple search string?

What search string have you entered? The more you tell me the more I'm likely to be able to help.

I have a header based search and in the search string it's "[.]epub". I look in there and all I see is epubs.

I have an internet search based search which uses a wild card meaning all results but it feeds through a filter profile that includes epub and pdf. It's filled with epubs and pdf's.

So as far as I can tell it's working. A reinstall is unlikely to do anything. My first guess is your search string is to broad and it's letting everything through.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Wombat101 » Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:20 pm

OK, the image link won't work as I am an unregistered user. But, I actually am. We created this account because my original account was actually registered in my real name, so we created this one to fix that issue. How do I register this account?

Image link not allowed for unregistered users

Thus I think this is a Search String based off of new header downloads. It should, if working correctly, only download files of at least 5 Meg from the a.b.e-book.magazines newsgroup that have "success" OR "business" OR "entrepreneur" in their names.

As I said, the string used to include several more name strings, but I trimmed it down to reduce variables.

Tell me what else you need me to screenshot and I will get it.
Wombat101
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:18 am

You can just cut and paste the search string here

(success|business|entrepreneur)

Is how I'd enter that search string. The parens are optional.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Wombat101 » Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:52 am

I eliminated the parens, but copy and pasted it. In 12 or so hours I will check it out.

I was tempted to eliminate the final | as you did, wondering if having one there might lead to a wildcard being interpreted at the end. But, I wanted to leave it alone.

Let's see what happens in 12 hours Image link not allowed for unregistered users
Wombat101
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:23 am

You can test the new string by clearing the watch list then re-scanning the existing headers. I'd "pause" newsbin so you can clear out any results that end up in the download list.

You don't have to wait for more headers to download.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Wombat101 » Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:30 pm

Quade wrote:You can test the new string by clearing the watch list then re-scanning the existing headers. I'd "pause" newsbin so you can clear out any results that end up in the download list.

You don't have to wait for more headers to download.

LOL! I went to sleep right after I posted my message to you. But the good news is:

346 new files this morning. And Newsbin pulled ONLY:

Canadian.Business-June.2022.pdf

So...YAY!!!

Looking back on that final | I had at the end of my search string... I use Newsbin intermittently. I've used it for a long time, but I use it when I am looking for something specific OR I have time to read for the fun of it. It is possible that a month or so before the problem occurred, I had edited some stuff out of the search string, and that wound up putting/leaving a final | at the end, creating a 100% everything wildcard effect.

To that end, I just added the final | back into the search string, and did a 30 day search. It turned up 6,700 matches. I then removed the final | and it turned up 35 matches.

So, ya, you found the error, and I might have introduced it 6 weeks ago, but because I hadn't run Newsbin during that time, didn't find the error until recently.

Lesson learned: Trailing | is bad, and I will not do it again!

As always, many thanks Quade!
Wombat101
n00b
n00b

Return to V6 Technical Support