Filterable poster?

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Filterable poster?

Postby MeZelf » Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:45 pm

For quite sometime someone/something has been posting garbish in groups like a.b.anime.
The postername is a randomized name using (6 random char)@(6 random char).com
The posts are between 739 and 741 KB and between 792 and 793 KB
The filtering on size would only be able to show the files for their sizes.

Is there a way to filter out on the randomized names?
Running on 6.82

Also playing TFC and DDR besides doing Anime NGs 25/7/355.
Yes, a day *DOES* have 25 hours.
MeZelf
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/31/03

Re: Filterable poster?

Postby Quade » Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:34 pm

6.60 might be filtering them out by default. 6.90 filters anything without a file counter. I'd suggest upgrading to 6.90.

A quick survey of a.b.anime suggests it's dead. I mean no useful posts anymore.

"a.b.mulimedia.anime.highspeed" is where everything usable is getting posted to these days.

What I'm suggesting is you stop pulling headers for that group altogether. If you uncheck it, normal header download will stop for the group but all the existing data from older posts will remain.

It should be possible to filter these posts. The problem you'd have to watch out for is over-filtering. A size filter will hide them so you never see them.

I'm not sure what you mean here. I keep my anime groups "size filtered" to 100 megs or so.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby MeZelf » Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:35 am

Quade wrote:6.60 might be filtering them out by default. 6.90 filters anything without a file counter. I'd suggest upgrading to 6.90.

I tried an RC of 6.9 in the past, but ran into the problem that the progress bar has been rewritten to no longer show separate colors of the parts.
The problem that it gave me was that when downloading a file for which parts are not available I can only notice that due to the absence of a download speed.

Quade wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean here. I keep my anime groups "size filtered" to 100 megs or so.

Going by the description of both size filters:
'min size' would require a post to be atleast x in size
'max size' would require a post to be no bigger than x in size.

Because this is an include filter and not an exclude filter it's not possible to use the size to simply exclude posts with that size.
Looking at the posts for just a.b.anime it's dead indeed.
Simplest trick here would be to drop that group.
MeZelf
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:52 am

The problem that it gave me was that when downloading a file for which parts are not available I can only notice that due to the absence of a download speed.

It doesn't wait anymore. It's one and done. It downloads as much as it can then assembles the file. Meaning files should never stall in the download list anymore.

Because this is an include filter and not an exclude filter it's not possible to use the size to simply exclude posts with that size.

I still don't understand. In the filter bar at the top of the post listing, you can set a minimum size. So you set that a size smaller than the files you normally download and it'll hide anything smaller.

If you normally download something that's > 200 megs, you set a 100 meg filter. Then when you load the group, nothing smaller than 100 megs will be shown. You'll still see the larger posts. You don't have to set a max size filter.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby MeZelf » Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:48 pm

Quade wrote:It doesn't wait anymore. It's one and done. It downloads as much as it can then assembles the file. Meaning files should never stall in the download list anymore.

I'll give 6.90 a try and see how it runs.

Quade wrote:

I still don't understand. In the filter bar at the top of the post listing, you can set a minimum size. So you set that a size smaller than the files you normally download and it'll hide anything smaller.
If you normally download something that's > 200 megs, you set a 100 meg filter. Then when you load the group, nothing smaller than 100 megs will be shown. You'll still see the larger posts. You don't have to set a max size filter.

My idea was to use the size filter to exclude/hide those pesky 793 KB files from showing up in the list.
But using the filter would actually only show those files.

No worries though, dumped a.b.anime so that took care of 99% of those files in the downloadlist. :wink:
MeZelf
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:40 am

I'd do that from the post listing and not a filter profile. You could also set a 1-2 meg min size there and no max size. Then it won't show anything below 1 meg.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Return to V6 Technical Support