Downloads keep stopping for no reason

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Downloads keep stopping for no reason

Postby Veewan » Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:04 am

Hi all & Merry Christmas :)

I've noticed that, only sometimes, NB will keep stopping downloads. It'll download at full speed for a little while, then just stop completely for several minutes, then resume.
This doesn't happen all the time, only now and then.

Any ideas what might be causing it? It's like it's doing something in the background?

No performance issues on this machine, plenty of fast disk space etc.

Thanks.
Veewan
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/09/03

Re: Downloads keep stopping for no reason

Postby Quade » Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:05 pm

What version are you using?

How many connections to the server?

I'd suspect you're using too many connections and the server is erroring out from time to time.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Re: Downloads keep stopping for no reason

Postby stavros » Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:15 am

Hi,
I used to get a similar problem a few months ago.
I have 3 usenet servers set up, with 5 connections each.
It started happening after I upgraded my connection fom 250Mb to 1Gb.

When the D/L stalled, I checked the server tab and saw that 1 of my usenet servers had all 5 connections 'redded out' with failures.
It happened multiple times, when any one of the servers' connections were all 'redded out', NB stalled completely accross ALL server D/L, not just the failed server.

I also noticed that I was not getting the 1Gb throughput that I was expecting, getting just over 350Mb (I use the ISP provided router in Cable Modem Mode and provide my own router - which was quite old).

My solution was to upgrade my router to a more recent version that supports the switching of data from input to output ports with a 2Gb matrix - no more 'redded out' connections.
The servers ceased failing and NB stopped stalling the D/L.
I now get just under 1Gb D/L speeds (internet weather permitting).

I don't know if your problem is the same, but I think it is worth checking out.

I don't think that NB should stall comepletely if only 1 of several servers is having problems, however I do understand that if the problem server happens to be the main one, not stalling completely may force NB to fallback to using a 'backup' - hence more exepensive/limited resource - server unexpectedly, so, on balance, stalling completely is the simplest and safest solution - unless a more complex solution can be implemented, taking into account the server types (primary, backup etc).

regards
Stavros
stavros
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/24/03

Return to V6 Technical Support