Version 6.90 Beta 1 Available...

This is the place to help test and discuss Version 6 Beta releases.

Re: Version 6.90 Beta 1 Available...

Postby Quade » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:47 pm

No but I can take a look.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby nethead » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:05 am

Quade wrote:
The files have extensions .001 through .xxx

Thanks for the report.

Yeah it seems to be some flaw in the 7zip code I'm using. Not 7zip itself but the way it's being triggered. I have a fix for it already which will be in the next beta. Someone sent me one of these NZB's and they aren't like normal split files in that the files have random sizes. I'm not sure but I think the current failures are related to that.

I just worked around the whole issue so split files appear to be a single 7z file to the decoder without first having to combine them which on 60 gigs files would be terribly slow.

looking forward to that beta :)

those random sizes in the NZBs are now becoming more common and an issue for v6.82; download completes, but reports as failed; wonder how many others think its failed and delete the leftover files without trying 7zip on them and finding it works lol :)
nethead
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/25/06

Postby fronbow » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:42 am

I'm having a bit of trouble with an nzb. It's a password protected archive, but the nzb isn't being loaded by newsbin, it seems to be silently rejecting it - I'm sure they used to appear in the failed files with a description of it having a password?

Also, I can't seem to turn the MOTD off, it doesn't matter whether I check the box in options to turn it off or on, it still shows on startup!

Cheers
fronbow
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/02/03

Postby Quade » Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:38 am

1 - You can email the NZB to TS@newsbin.com for me to look at. B1 has a problem with NZB's with passwords on them so, that might be your issue here.

2 - You might need to re-register from the help menu. You can't disable the MOTD if you're not registered. I mean just re-enter and submit your key.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby fronbow » Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:22 pm

Quade wrote:1 - You can email the NZB to TS@newsbin.com for me to look at. B1 has a problem with NZB's with passwords on them so, that might be your issue here.

This is most likely the problem then, it was just odd that nb silently discards it.

Quade wrote:2 - You might need to re-register from the help menu. You can't disable the MOTD if you're not registered. I mean just re-enter and submit your key.

Yes, that got it, which is weird. Must be a Windows 10 thing then!

Cheers Quade
fronbow
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/02/03

Postby Quade » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:05 pm

It's especially weird because Newsbin saves the key in a couple different places because of Win10 shenanigans.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Stuart264 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:06 pm

Quade, Turned up an odd one earlier, a password protected zip didn't unzip after I added the password to the password file so I did a manual unzip from the file list and it went into an unstoppable loop that I had to force a close in Newsbin to stop.

Stuart.
Stuart264
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/10/04

Postby nethead » Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:41 pm

is there a possibility of Pre-Beta 2 release, a beta 1.5 for the 7zip fix? :)
thx!
nethead
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/25/06

Postby Quade » Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:17 am

It's coming. I have a list of things I need to get working. B2 is going to come out of the new code so, there are many more changes than in B1.

There's just a bunch of fiddly stuff I need to get hooked back up.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby jimerb » Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:56 pm

bd baker wrote:Has anyone reported the Duplicate Detector appears to not be working in this Beta?

Can you confirm this is working in the beta? Drunkenslug's NZB's all seem to get stuck on 6.82RC3 and I'd like to try this because the release notes look encouraging.

A broken duplicate detector would be a deal breaker though.
jimerb
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/04/06

Postby Quade » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:26 pm

I checked it the other day. I don't consider it particularly useful anymore but I haven't disabled it.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby jimerb » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:30 am

Ok thanks. Not sure why you don't think it's useful. It stops me from having duplicates all the time.
jimerb
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:43 am

I'm curious, are people reposting or are you adding the same files over and over?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby jimerb » Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:58 pm

A little bit of both. Mostly it let's me be more agressive on selecting things because i don't have to keep track closely. This is especially important if you have mulitple sources/indexers newsbin search; etc.
jimerb
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby jimerb » Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:41 pm

I downloaded the beta but it didn't really fix my issue.

Many Drunkenslug's NZB's get stuck with full download missing sections of the pars.

They just sit there looking like they are 100% done. If i "Assemble Incompletes" nothing happens. Quick unrar comes up with the message, "No filename found"

If i use winzip on the par01, it unzips but gets a CRC failure. The file is then there and usable, it just has an obfuscated filename.

Anyway to get Newsbin to help with this condition?
jimerb
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:50 pm

I'm talking about the new beta that isn't out yet.

Modern NZB's require you to drag and drop them directly onto the download list or use NZB Autoload. You can't send them to the post list first to look at. It's because of the obscured files. Newsbin will rename the contents of the unrar that seem to be obscured to the name of the NZB files.

If i use winzip on the par01, it unzips but gets a CRC failure. The file is then there and usable, it just has an obfuscated filename.

This means the download failed and there was no repair, maybe because there were no PARS. Newsbin isn't going to unrar a damaged RAR set. It leaves that to you because it considered a failed RAR set to be a download failure.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby jimerb » Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:46 am

That's great news about using the NZB name. That's good enough 99.99% of the time.

Any sense of when the next beta will be out?

Quade wrote:This means the download failed and there was no repair, maybe because there were no PARS. Newsbin isn't going to unrar a damaged RAR set. It leaves that to you because it considered a failed RAR set to be a download failure.

It would be good if when you said "Assemble In completes" that it tried to unzip what i have and respect the unzip directory structure that was chosen when added to newsbin. I find myself manually unraring a zillion files and then moving them around to the right directories.

Newsbin typically takes care of this when there aren't errors.
jimerb
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:22 pm

It would be good if when you said "Assemble In completes" that it tried to unzip what i have and respect the unzip directory structure that was chosen when added to newsbin.

"Assemble Incompletes" mostly goes away in the next beta. I've removed all the retry logic and the wait for more files logic. It's one and done now. Pretty much all servers work the same more or less so, retrying a download seems kinda pointless. Only a beta will tell me if this is a good decision or not. For my downloading it works best.

You still get multi-server support meaning it'll still check multiple servers for parts of the file but there's no delay during download. When a part of the file fails on all the servers, Newsbin will assemble what it has and hopefully the PARS can repair it.

I think the new beta will be in IRC in the coming week and hopefully forum week after next. What I'm fixing now is mostly cosmetic issues. For example I just noticed, if I select 5 files to pause, only 4 pause. Stuff like that. "On the fly" unrar won't make the this beta but it's probably the next thing I'll implement. The progress and painting the display items for state changes is a bit slow.

Most people don't seem to want damaged files. Instead they'll find another download that's not damaged. I'm not keen on the idea of keeping damaged files by default. Maybe I could add an option in the files list for it.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby jimerb » Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:09 pm

Thanks for the update on the next beta. Very informative.

Quade wrote:Most people don't seem to want damaged files. Instead they'll find another download that's not damaged. I'm not keen on the idea of keeping damaged files by default. Maybe I could add an option in the files list for it.

In the files list would be cool. It would be nice if the files list became a nested tree of files related to a set. Then you could keep them collapsed and right click on them and say unrar.
jimerb
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby jimerb » Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:25 pm

A SUPER handy feature would be a checkbox in the NZB options to force filenames to match the name of the NZB file.

It's no fault of Newsbin, but often the filenames inside of NZB's are a mess. Yet the name of the NZB itself is usually fantastic.

You wind up going from nice neat looking NZB files to abbreviations; hopeless obfuscation; or just lousy names like Copy(72) of 1080p_fullcomplete -- even though they are not dups.

Even cooler would be a simple check --- If the internal filename doesn't follow this naming convention, AND the name of the nzb does, switch to the name of the nzb:

collectionname.yy.mm.dd.description.resolution

*there may be some other standard formats to respect too.
jimerb
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:42 pm

6.82 will already rename files based on the NZB Filename if they're in obscured format. If you want to email me an NZB with the odd formatting to see if Newsbin renames properly, now's a good time. I was just about to send another beta to IRC.

ts @ newsbin dot com.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby jimerb » Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:59 pm

Quade wrote:6.82 will already rename files based on the NZB Filename if they're in obscured format. If you want to email me an NZB with the odd formatting to see if Newsbin renames properly, now's a good time. I was just about to send another beta to IRC.

ts @ newsbin dot com.

Done. I just sent it over.
jimerb
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Previous

Return to Newsbin Version 6 Beta Support