autopar

This is the place to help test and discuss Version 6 Beta releases.

autopar

Postby tongueboy » Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:46 am

Can't seem to turn off autopar.
I have the box checked to disable it but it ignores it and still does its thing.
I hate autopar and would like to be able to turn it off like in all previous versions that I am aware of.
Thanks for listening.
tongueboy
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/27/12

Re: autopar

Postby Quade » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:08 am

Is it repairing and unraring or just tracking? If it's just tracking the download state then yes, since it does it anyway I see no reason not to track the download state. Disabling AutoPAR should just disable repair and unrar.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby tongueboy » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:03 pm

it repairs and unrars and deletes the rars and pars.
I don't want it to do any of that.
I used to be able to disable it and I would repair and unrar manually.
I have over 100 TB's of files which means I have many mechanical drives.
They sometimes get corrupted or fail.
I have found that my recovery chances are far greater if I have the files in rars with pars rather than just the file.
I would like to be able to completely disable autopar like I have always been able to do.
Thanks for the reply.
tongueboy
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:04 pm

Sounds like a bug. You'll still supposed to be able to disable repair and unrar. As I said earlier, it'll still track though.

They sometimes get corrupted or fail.

I've run into that too in Windows with NTFS. FIles I used to be able to play just stop playing fully. I save my important files to a Linux partition that's either ZFS or BTRFS format because both of them detect and correct file corruption and bit-rot.

One thought would be to unrar, then generate new PARs over the files that used to be in the RARs. In that way you could repair the output files and not have to unrar if a file becomes corrupt. Just repair the MKV/AVI ...whatever the file is.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby tongueboy » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:25 pm

Yes, I could create my own rar/par set but I wouldn't need to if I could disable autopar like I used to be able to.
It was the same on another beta version that I tried or maybe it was this one so I reverted back to a version that worked correctly but now as noted in the MOTD there are new obfuscation methods that the beta does indeed download correctly.
My only issue is not being able to disable autopar.
Is there a setting I might be missing that isn't under the autopar header?
Thank you.
tongueboy
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:57 pm

Sounds like a bug. You'll still supposed to be able to disable repair and unrar. As I said earlier, it'll still track though.

Maybe this got lost in my reply. I said it sounds like a bug. It's not something I ever test so, it's only when I get reports from people like you who disable it that I take a look.

You know the new obscured NZB Files have obscured filenames with random lengths and no indication of what file belongs to what set. Newsbin renames them to something meaningful with the PAR file but if you seriously want Newsbin not to touch the files, you're going to have to ensure each NZB goes to a unique folder. If you let NZB's mix together in a folder. You'll probably have a hard time splitting them out.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby tongueboy » Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:42 am

Okay, thanks for looking into it.
I appreciate it.
tongueboy
Active Participant
Active Participant