Open Group Sort and New Headers

Make suggestions for new features.

Moderator: Quade

Open Group Sort and New Headers

Postby Ortiz » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:52 am

Currently, if I have a group open and new headers are downloaded, they appear at the bottom of the window. If I had the list sorted by subject and click the subject header to resort, the list gets sorted in reverse direction because the previous sort was in forward direction. However, I'm not trying to reverse the sort. I just want to get the new headers into proper sort order. I would love to see some enhancements for this situation.

1. If headers had been added to the bottom of the list, then clicking the column header should be treated as if the list was unsorted (e.g. sort forward instead of reverse).

2. I'd love for groups that are open, but are not the active tab, to auto-sort when new headers are added. Then they would be ready to go without the need to click anything. I understand that it could be disruptive to do this if the user were working in a group. So, adding to the bottom is a good approach when the tab is active.
Ortiz
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Open Group Sort and New Headers

Postby Quade » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:35 pm

Why are you sorting on subject instead of date?

The main reason I add to bottom and don't auto-sort to top is because if you have a bunch of headers downloading, the posts you're currently looking at, which might not be at the top, will get scrolled away from your current view. Inserting at the top for tabs that are currently hidden might be a way around this. I'll have to look into it.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Ortiz » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:26 am

If I have a group open that has 25 unread items listed, alphabetical sorting of the posts is easiest for me to process. That puts similar posts of the same item together.

Example - A date-sorted list might look like the following:

Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS
Fedora 28
Debian 7
Fedora 31
Debian 8
Ubuntu 19.10
Ortiz
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:23 pm

I think it will always be a two step process. Sorts on date, to move them to the top, then sort on subject.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Ortiz » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:24 pm

#2 was an ideal. But I understand if that item isn't accepted.

What about item #1? Could the application clear the sort status when new headers are added to the grid? After all, the grid isn't sorted anymore once new headers get added to the bottom.

Here is what happens currently.

1. I open a group and click the sort by Subject header to sort by subject.
2. New headers arrive at the bottom of the list.
3. I click the Subject header and the grid sorts in descending subject order because it thinks the rows are sorted in ascending subject order. In reality, the moment new rows were added at the bottom, the grid became unsorted again.
Ortiz
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:33 pm

The issue is that adding to the top or bottom then making the list do something in response to that will make the list unusable as it's updating. If you have 50 imports going, you might have continuous inserts into the list. Having it sort or reset the sort while you're scrolling through the list or automatically promoting the files to the top will make the listing move around out from under someone browsing the list.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Ortiz » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:13 pm

It could be implemented by just marking the list as unsorted.

void AddArticlesToGrid
{
If (list.Sort != Unsorted)
list.Sort = Unsorted.

/* rest of code */
}
Ortiz
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Return to Feature Requests