help a noob out to understanding abc.xyz.##### decoding

General NewsBin and Usenet related discussions. Make recommendations for additional specific discussion groups.

Moderators: Quade, dexter

help a noob out to understanding abc.xyz.##### decoding

Postby Lou911 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:49 pm

I'm looking for any help, on how to figure how to decode. I'm missing something or it seems like a waste for someone spend time on.
Everything seems great, I get a whole season. the root folder is named correctly.
But when I go into a folder. I see 10-20 files named something like abc.xyz.1f9cafd459ee1c.ext
I've looked at the id tags, tried to play the files, tried converting hex to dec. Trying to figure out the correct order of the files is a mystery to me.
thanks for any help
Lou911
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Re: help a noob out to understanding abc.xyz.##### decoding

Postby Quade » Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:39 am

How are you downloading? NZB, headers or search?

What version are you using?

How large are the files?

If you're using NZBs and using 6.82 (which you should be using), you need to feed the NZB's directly to the download list for many modern NZB's to work. Many depend on the PAR files and autopar to work.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby tkrotchko » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:10 am

Quade wrote:How are you downloading? NZB, headers or search?

If you're using NZBs and using 6.82 (which you should be using), you need to feed the NZB's directly to the download list for many modern NZB's to work. Many depend on the PAR files and autopar to work.

I'm using 6.82, and when I click on the downloaded NZBs to start newsbin, I often get the ABC.XYZ format. I'm not sure what you mean by "feed the NZB's directly to the download list", is there something I'm doing wrong when I get this result?
tkrotchko
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/29/03

Postby Quade » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:52 am

1 - Firstly many files these days are posted purposely obscured to try to avoid their removal. Newsbin attempts to rename then using the PAR files and some other logic after unrar.

2 - I do believe the latest beta does a better job of renaming but nothing is perfect.

3 - When you double-click an NZB, we want it to appear directly into the download list. If it's already doing that then you're good. If you double-click and he files show up in a listing on top, then you manually feed them to the download list. This is what you want to avoid. There's an option in the NZB options to make Newsbin automatically download double-clicked NZB's. That's what you want.

So everything might be fine but I want you to be aware that there are a couple ways to feed the NZBs.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby tkrotchko » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:42 am

Okay, thanks. I understand why the name is obscured, but it can be a problem sometimes.
tkrotchko
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/29/03

Postby cat_man » Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:36 pm

Quade,
On 6.82 double clicking an NZB puts it in the download list. On 6.90B7 it goes to the post list. I have "Download loaded NZB's" checked in the NZB options. Have tried unchecking and rechecking after an OK and same behavior. What am I missing. That's why I went back to 6.82 during the early betas of 6.90.
cat_man
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/08/05

Postby Quade » Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:15 pm

I'm not sure. I'm using something newer than B7. Have "Download loaded NZBs" checked and when I double-click an NZB in explorer, it ends up in the download list.

You could look in the NBI file.

[NZB]
DownloadNZB=1

Is what makes it feed NZB's directly to the download list. Makes me wonder if your NBI file is read only?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby cat_man » Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:27 pm

It is set to 1 in the NBI file. When I revert to 6.82 it works correctly with the same NBI file. Guess I'll wait for next beta. Thanks. NBI is not read-only.
cat_man
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/08/05

Return to General Discussion