AutoPar Unrar Newbie Question

General NewsBin and Usenet related discussions. Make recommendations for additional specific discussion groups.

Moderators: Quade, dexter

AutoPar Unrar Newbie Question

Postby BrownBullhead » Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:31 pm

Hello guys.

Let's presume I am in a binary group.

There is a large RAR set post, with accompanying PAR2 file set.

I queue up the whole set in NBP.

NBP downloads the PAR2 set, then out of 111 .RAR files, the first 100 or so are downloaded OK.

Then remaining 11 or so files, with the final volume being smaller than the rest of course, NBP insists on stopping download, and "repairing" to generate the remaining 11 or so files.

I want NBP to download ALL 111+ files, then do the auto-unrar.

It takes my system 15+ minutes to "repair" (create the un-downloaded 11 files) than it would to just literally download them. I have a 1 gbps download speed. Would only take 1-2 min to download. :)

Why is NBP insisting on doing the "repair" to create the "missing" 11 files, instead of just downloading EVERYTHING, then proceed with the auto unrar.

Thank you for your troubleshooting help.
BrownBullhead
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 06/18/03

Re: AutoPar Unrar Newbie Question

Postby Quade » Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:13 am

What version are you using?

Newsbin knows not to repair when the files are grouped together so it won't attempt to repair until the last non-PAR file download.

It sounds like the files aren't grouped in the download list. One thing you can do is queue all the RARS first, then add the pars below the RARS. Then it won't attempt to repair because it hasn't downloaded any repair blocks yet.

If you want to PM me a specific example I can try it. Newsbin doesn't know there are still files downloading for a set it they're queued up but not downloaded yet AND aren't grouped.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby BrownBullhead » Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:46 pm

My NBP is v6.90 RC1 BUild 5424 64-Bit.

I sent you a priv msg with the referenced file set.

I tried the alternative download order and that accomplished what I was aiming for. Instant Decoding. :)

Quade wrote:What version are you using?

Newsbin knows not to repair when the files are grouped together so it won't attempt to repair until the last non-PAR file download.

It sounds like the files aren't grouped in the download list. One thing you can do is queue all the RARS first, then add the pars below the RARS. Then it won't attempt to repair because it hasn't downloaded any repair blocks yet.

If you want to PM me a specific example I can try it. Newsbin doesn't know there are still files downloading for a set it they're queued up but not downloaded yet AND aren't grouped.
BrownBullhead
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 06/18/03

Postby Quade » Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:37 pm

Thanks.

If the files aren't grouped the best way would be to queue the rars first, then add the pars.

Alternatively you could select them all, make an NZB then feed the NZB to Newsbin.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to General Discussion