Search engine :: newer posts

There is no such thing as a stupid question here as long as it pertains to using NewsBin. Newbies feel free to get help getting started or asking questions that may be obvious. Regular users are asked to be gentle. :-)

Moderators: Quade, dexter

Search engine :: newer posts

Postby technogeek » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:06 pm

I have been off the grid for a while (couple years)... It appears a comet came along and wiped out all my kind. I can't really "see" any posts newer than 200-300 days (or at least find anything I'm actually looking for). I'm interested in the search / indexer engine that you guys have going, is it a subscription? Can I trial it for a while and see if I can wrap myself around it a bit? I'll go look at your faqs and get the basics out of the way. Congrats on your continued success.
TANSTAAFL
technogeek
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/24/03

Re: Search engine :: newer posts

Postby Quade » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:42 pm

1 - It's a subscription

2 - Many of the posting groups have gone dark. They're still posting but in obscured formats that sometimes only work with NZB files. The search engine can de-obscure some but not all of the postings.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby technogeek » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:38 pm

I've been finding out - the obfuscation level of many posts is right off the charts - parts scattered across random groups, names hashed and sometimes mismatched, tracking stuff down is nearly impossible. I bought a year on your Search, it seems to work just fine, better than just header searches. I suppose I'll subscribe to one of the indexers too.
TANSTAAFL
technogeek
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Quade » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:34 pm

Yeah, depending on the group, headers are now useless. There are still unobscured topics though. I use headers for about 1/2 of what I download.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby technogeek » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:54 pm

Yeah, lots of stuff still works like it used to but everything changes. It's part of the process. I remember when people were all running around hair on fire because posters started using RARs. Then flaming people if they didn't have a descriptive enough NFO file. :-)
TANSTAAFL
technogeek
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Return to Newbie Forum