how to download and assemble rars on SSD then move to HDD?

There is no such thing as a stupid question here as long as it pertains to using NewsBin. Newbies feel free to get help getting started or asking questions that may be obvious. Regular users are asked to be gentle. :-)

Moderators: Quade, dexter

how to download and assemble rars on SSD then move to HDD?

Postby alyosha » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:50 am

Hi all!

Long time casual user of newsbin, but this is my first post.

I have a question as per title. I'd like to know how I can set newsbin to download rars to an SSD, do all the disk intensive stuff like reassemble and maybe repair etc and only then move the resultant, final files to a larger HDD.

I've been scratching my head but I can't figure it out. If I set the temp the folder as the SSD and the download folder as the HDD then newsbin will download onto the HDD in the first place and just use the SSD to do the disk intensive ops. I suppose that isn't so bad - but is there a 'cleaner' way to just do everything on the SDD and move over to the HDD only when the files are finished?

Thanks
alyosha
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 08/01/10

Re: how to download and assemble rars on SSD then move to HD

Postby Quade » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:49 pm

Sure. Set the download folder to the SSD, then set the unrar folder to the spinning disk. Then it'll download, repair and unrar from the SSD. It'll unrar to the spinning disk.

You might want to move the whole data folder to the SSD.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby alyosha » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:41 pm

aaaaaaaah it's not TEMP folder it's UNRAR folder! ie the files STAY in the unrar folder...

So simple - I was doing it in reverse. Thanks for putting up up with noob question. Would it speed things up if I put the data folder on the SSD?
alyosha
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 08/01/10

Postby Quade » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:08 pm

The chunks folder in the data folder is used to hold chunks of the file during download. Instead of moving the entire data folder, you could mount a folder on the SSD to the chunks folder, then Newsbin will use the SSD for chunks and downloads. That would be the quickest.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... nds/mklink
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to Newbie Forum