Multiple Servers using only Watch Topics

There is no such thing as a stupid question here as long as it pertains to using NewsBin. Newbies feel free to get help getting started or asking questions that may be obvious. Regular users are asked to be gentle. :-)

Moderators: Quade, dexter

Multiple Servers using only Watch Topics

Postby rh » Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:27 pm

So I'm about to explore the multiple server scenario. Read through a dozen or so related posts first and the Wiki.

I'm generally not using headers lately, just Watch Topics. Starting to see allot of (well, more than usual) 430's from Giganews. By adding UsenetServer at the same priority (since it's unlimited too) Newsbin will just automatically look there the instant it gets a 430 from Giga?

I saw another forum post about determining which server delivered a post. I suppose maybe that could be discerned to some degree looking at the log? Otherwise I suppose the amount downloaded on the Servers tab could give an indication of how much the 2nd server might be 'paying off'.
rh
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/27/04

Re: Multiple Servers using only Watch Topics

Postby Quade » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:46 pm

Newsbin will automatically use both. If one 430's it'll attempt the other. When both servers are the same priority, the order the servers get checked is first come, first serve. So it might check Giga first or UNS.

Amount downloaded is a good way to check.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Re: Multiple Servers using only Watch Topics

Postby rh » Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:51 am

Thanks!
rh
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/27/04

Return to Newbie Forum