Running Different Versions

There is no such thing as a stupid question here as long as it pertains to using NewsBin. Newbies feel free to get help getting started or asking questions that may be obvious. Regular users are asked to be gentle. :-)

Moderators: Quade, dexter

Running Different Versions

Postby 6t5omde » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:06 pm

Hello,

How exactly do I run different versions? I have things correct so far, so more specifically, how do I handle the nbi files for each version? I assume I need to make a shortcut for each exe and tell it to start using a specific .nbi. How do I do that? I assume I have to add something to the "Target"
6t5omde
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/09/05

Re: Running Different Versions

Postby Quade » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:44 am

Newsbin won't let you use the same exact NBI in two instances running at the same time but you can use the same NBI with two different versions as long as they're not running at the same time.

If you want to run a specific version with specific NBI, the easiest way is to copy your existing NBI to a different folder, then edit it to have a different data folder, then make a new shortcut to the specific version you want to run and pass the copied NBI to this instance using the the shortcut.

You don't want two simultaneously running instances using the same data folder.

If you want to do something simple, like just run specific versions but not at the same time, the easiest way is to copy the program files to a new folder. Maybe name it "Newsbin 6.90B4" Then just make a shortcut to each version you want to keep around.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Re: Running Different Versions

Postby 6t5omde » Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:47 am

Actually, I needed to know the syntax. However, I found it on the help page and have it working properly now. Thanks.
6t5omde
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/09/05

Return to Newbie Forum