B10 and B12 keep files with red bar in download window

There is no such thing as a stupid question here as long as it pertains to using NewsBin. Newbies feel free to get help getting started or asking questions that may be obvious. Regular users are asked to be gentle. :-)

Moderators: Quade, dexter

B10 and B12 keep files with red bar in download window

Postby RankoSaotome » Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:31 am

Hello.

Today I restarted NBP und saw the MOTD:
#July 14, 2021, 7:00am
#New Obfuscation Method...
#Some uploaders to Usenet are now using a new obfuscation method that older versions of Newsbin does not support. The latest beta release, #6.90 B12, does support this obfuscation method. If you are seeing lots of failures to download posts, please upgrade to this beta release. It is very stable and close to production release.

So I installed the new 6.90 B12 build 5396.
Then I let it download new headers and after that it should automatically download the bodies/files.
After some time in the Window 'Downloading Files' many postings stay with a red bar.

So I reinstalled NBP back to stable 6.82 build 5142 and restarted NBP.
All those postings were downladed automatically and none stayed with a red bar.

This is something I experienced with 6.90 b10 Build5368 (May2021) also.
I did not post this, because I thought it was a temporary problem with B10 but now b12 does ist also wrong.
That is the reason I went back to 6.82 build 5142.

(If I get to know how to send pics in this forum, then I may be able to show a pic of the screen)

Can you understand the problem and tell me what I do wrong?
Please excuse my typos. I am not native english speaking.
= = = =
Dell Optiplex 7010 I7-3770(4coreHT @3,4GHz), 24GB DDR3, some SSD & HDD, Win7Pro 64bit
RankoSaotome
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: B10 and B12 keep files with red bar in download window

Postby Quade » Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:16 pm

I've seen it leave some files in the download list. It seems to be PAR file groups. I'd just delete them for now.

Finding out why is on my todo list.

If you don't use NZB's then 6.82 is fine. If you do use NZB's I'd suggest sticking with B12.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby RankoSaotome » Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:23 pm

Quade wrote:If you don't use NZB's then 6.82 is fine. If you do use NZB's I'd suggest sticking with B12.

Well I let NBP download all new files, but since several Versions ist has a bug (automatically jumping filemarker) so sometimes, when I try to delete selected lines from the downloadwindow it did mark other lines automatically and then they get delete also.
Since NBP has not 'undo' Function the only way to get the unwanted deleted lines/files back is to use NZB.

So to get both the features in a stable usage I understand that I have to use 2 versions of NZB.
6.82 for normal downloads and when I use NZB I should use B12.
Is it possible to install and activate/register 2 NBP Versions at the same time?
Please excuse my typos. I am not native english speaking.
= = = =
Dell Optiplex 7010 I7-3770(4coreHT @3,4GHz), 24GB DDR3, some SSD & HDD, Win7Pro 64bit
RankoSaotome
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:53 pm

Well I let NBP download all new files, but since several Versions ist has a bug (automatically jumping filemarker) so sometimes, when I try to delete selected lines from the downloadwindow it did mark other lines automatically and then they get delete also.
Since NBP has not 'undo' Function the only way to get the unwanted deleted lines/files back is to use NZB.

I'd suggest pausing the download using the main pause button on the toolbar before you delete them. Or just leave the red files there till the download completes.

You can run both versions if you want. Just make sure they don't share the same data folder or the same NBI file. You can do that by passing the NBI in the commandline and using two different short cuts to start them.

So install 6.82, then make a copy of the install folder (in Program Files). Call it "Newsbin 6.82" . Then install 6.90, let it upgrade the old 6.82 folder. You can rename that folder or just keep in mind the Newsbin folder is 6.90. At that point you'll want two shortcuts. One pointing to 6.82 and one pointing to 6.90. Pass two different NBI's to each shortcut and make sure each NBI has a different data folder. For the NZB downloading shortcut, you don't need a full "spool_v6" which is where most of the disk space it. You only need that folder when downloading headers.

It seems like a bunch or work whereas you could just pause 6.90, delete, then unpause it.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to Newbie Forum