Edit search tab listing

There is no such thing as a stupid question here as long as it pertains to using NewsBin. Newbies feel free to get help getting started or asking questions that may be obvious. Regular users are asked to be gentle. :-)

Moderators: Quade, dexter

Edit search tab listing

Postby dane » Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:36 pm

Is there a way to edit the drop-down listing of searches on the search tab. There are searches that I rerun from time to time, but they keep rolling off the bottom of the list due to less important, transitory searches. Are the items in the list stored in an editable file? or accessible somehow?

Thanks,
DaDane
dane
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/25/05

Re: Edit search tab listing

Postby Quade » Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:41 pm

They're stored in "GuiItems.db3" in your user tree but you'd need some tool to edit Sqlite databases.

When you use a search it bubbles to the top again but, if it sits unused long enough new searches can push the old out.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby dane » Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:46 pm

That's very kewl! Had to find some tools (sqlite studio) which provides a graphical interface. Had some trouble installing, but eventually got it. Took a little time to find how to edit the database, and now...it works. Thanks, that'll be a big help.

btw, is the filestructure (db3) from the old pc database tool dbase III? I know they went out of business many years ago, but they had built some good tools along the way. I wouldn't be surprised if their data structures outlived them.

Thanks for the help,
DaDane
dane
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:23 pm

Sqlite is the most popular database probably in the world. It's used everywhere including android phones and I believe IOS. It's a format that works the same under Linux as Windows.

The ".db3" is just my own name for the extension. From when I switched to Sqlite version 3.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby dane » Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:10 pm

Ah! You had me in a flashback there.

In the guiitems file, what's the difference between the various items - from list, filter list, download history, search list? I get not to fool with sizes and age, but what about the others?

Also, for every .db3 file there seems to be a .db3-shm & .db3-wal. Sqlite doesn't want anything to do with these - are they backups, indexes, or something?

Thanks for being so open about this.
DaDane
dane
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby itimpi » Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:23 pm

dane wrote:Also, for every .db3 file there seems to be a .db3-shm & .db3-wal. Sqlite doesn't want anything to do with these - are they backups, indexes, or something?
DaDane

Those files are created automatically as part of the way SQLite commits updates. Most of the time they are transient and then disappear once all the database updates are fully committed.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby Quade » Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:17 am

In the guiitems file, what's the difference between the various items - from list, filter list, download history, search list? I get not to fool with sizes and age, but what about the others?

The search tab has a distinct list from the post list, files list and download list. The one you probably want to monitor is the "search list".
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby dane » Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:47 am

Thanks Quade and thanks too to you itimpi

DaDane
dane
Seasoned User
Seasoned User