Download Continuation After Restart

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Download Continuation After Restart

Postby TBlack » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:12 am

6.60R

Have had a couple of downloads that did not continue after being interrupted by closing NB. After NB restarts, the download entry is still shown in the Download List, but NB is not looking for already downloaded parts and starts the whole download over again. I see "Copy 1 of ......" in the download folder. Never used to happen....NB would check for already downloaded parts and then continue the download to complete the needed parts. NB should continue a download where it needs to, yes?

Thanks
Tom
TBlack
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/05/03

Re: Download Continuation After Restart

Postby Quade » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:50 pm

Depends on how you added the download. If you Ctrl-Y'd it, bypass mode, it ignores the files already on disk and re-downloads.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby TBlack » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:37 pm

Ok, regardless of how the file was placed in the Download List, Ctrl-E or Y, once the file is in the list, shouldn't it be treated the same way? What if the Post is 10Gb and interrupted at 80% for any reason? That's 8Gb that has to be redownloaded. It would also penalize a user on a metered ISP account. :( This approach also takes up unnecessary disk space for those users not having large drives as I have seen in some posts recently. Wouldn't think it would be a big deal or a lot of code to have NB always check, especially after a restart. I also seem to remember NB always checking on a restart....maybe I am wrong on this point, but it really shouldn't matter how the file was placed in the Download List.

Thanks
Tom
TBlack
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby TBlack » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:38 pm

You'll probably shoot me for this, but I reloaded 6.56R and redownloaded a previous download via Ctrl-Y. I interrupted the download by closing NB, and then reopened NB. NB picked up with the download where it left off. I interrupted the same d/l several times and each time NB picked up nicely. Would love to have this back in 6.6X.

Thanks
Tom
TBlack
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:06 pm

It doesn't change my answer. Ctrl-Y re-downloads. Regular download doesn't.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby TBlack » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:33 pm

So, you are leaning toward having NB re-download a large Ctrl-Y File all over again if there is an interruption near the end?

Thanks
Tom
TBlack
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:59 pm

My answer is to not Ctrl-Y then. Ctrl-Y is supposed to be an exceptional thing. Not something you do with every download.

The reason Ctrl-Y works this way is that sometimes people DO want to re-download the file so this is the mechanism to do it. Say you assemble incompletes by accident and want to re-download.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby TBlack » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:24 pm

TBlack wrote:Ok, regardless of how the file was placed in the Download List, Ctrl-E or Y, once the file is in the list, shouldn't it be treated the same way? What if the Post is 10Gb and interrupted at 80% for any reason? That's 8Gb that has to be redownloaded. It would also penalize a user on a metered ISP account. This approach also takes up unnecessary disk space for those users not having large drives as I have seen in some posts recently. Wouldn't think it would be a big deal or a lot of code to have NB always check, especially after a restart. I also seem to remember NB always checking on a restart....maybe I am wrong on this point, but it really shouldn't matter how the file was placed in the Download List.

We may be talking about two different things now. Yes, Ctrl-Y has a very necessary and convenient purpose and I often use it and like it. But in 6.60, if you do a Ctrl-y input into the Download List and there is an interruption in the D/L and NB has to restart, then NB duplicates the already D/L'd parts of that entry unnecessarily. My thought was this is not the intended behavior since previous versions didn't duplicate already downloaded parts.

All I am suggesting is that once a file makes it into the Download List and there is an Interruption in the download for any reason, NB should check to make sure it doesn't duplicate the parts already received in the Download Folder like 6.5x and previous versions did.

Thanks
Tom
TBlack
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:09 am

We may be talking about two different things now. Yes, Ctrl-Y has a very necessary and convenient purpose and I often use it and like it. But in 6.60, if you do a Ctrl-y input into the Download List and there is an interruption in the D/L and NB has to restart, then NB duplicates the already D/L'd parts of that entry unnecessarily. My thought was this is not the intended behavior since previous versions didn't duplicate already downloaded parts.

No matter how many ways you parse it, the answer is the same. Ctrl-Y forces a re-download of the entire set as well as bypassing any filters. Don't use Ctrl-Y unless you have to.

Ctrl-Y starts the download from scratch on a restart.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby TBlack » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:52 am

?
Quade wrote:No matter how many ways you parse it, the answer is the same. Ctrl-Y forces a re-download of the entire set as well as bypassing any filters. Don't use Ctrl-Y unless you have to. Ctrl-Y starts the download from scratch on a restart.

Yes, this is what I am reporting. This is a change is 6.60. 6.56 and previous versions never did this on a Restart and gave the user flexibility and did not penalize the user if NB stopped or NB had to closed for any reason prior to download completion. I believe at one time, this feature was even listed as a Newsbin Pro Feature. Most Download Protocols and even Windows will continue an interrupted download.

How about making this action an Option for the user? This will give the user choice and should satisfy all concerns and needs.

Thanks
Tom
TBlack
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby TBlack » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:16 am

I also have had times when I did a Ctrl-E Download and it didn't complete for whatever reason, maybe because of Server issues or some timeout or loss of my Internet Connection. I did a Ctrl-Y and NB checked the already-received parts and continued the D/L and then assemble the RAR. Ctrl-Y has been my friend many times. I have even watched NB check the received parts in the Download List many times. NB has always checked for received parts and continued D/Ls for as long as I can remember.

This approach also does not address a user with a Metered ISP Account or a user that has a backup Fill Server with limited download limits for the month or a user with limited hard drive space.

This is one of the significant Features of Newsbin Pro. Hopefully, you will consider making it an Optional Choice if you won't restore the previous logic.

Thanks
Tom
TBlack
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:33 am

I'll think about it and talk to Dex about it.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby TBlack » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:28 pm

Quade, not to pile on here, but D/L recovery/continuation has been around from the DOS Days. There was XModem and ZModem to name a couple. Even UNIX and UNIX GUI Programs have it as a setting or an option. Don't know about Linux. So does Windows. If the continuation failed or resulted in a corrupt file, then the file was deleted and redownloaded. My recollection is most if not all DOS recovery/continuation D/Ls were successful or some 99+%.

There were no PARs back in those days. That's what is so neat today....you have a program like Newsbin Pro with its intelligence and forethought and PAR capability. You and Dex have refined the UnRar process to make it very smart. If for any reason that Newsbin did a continuation/recovery d/l, should there be a corrupted part, NB just pulled down the required PARs, fixed the file and assembled it. Any potentially corrupt part(s) was not an issue and totally transparent to the user because NB would do a simple PAR Repair in the background and assemble the file normally. If the corruption was so bad that NB could not repair, NB already has an error message stating 'Not Enough PARS'. At that point, the user has a choice....forget the file or delete all parts and do a Ctrl-Y and let NB try one more time or wait for enough PARs to fix the original file.

No matter the reason the file is placed in the Download List, NB should always be ready to check for already received part and act accordingly, just like previous versions. That is one of the many features that makes Newsbin Pro the Pro Program that it is! Anything else is de-featuring or going backwards :( Just my two cents.

Tom
TBlack
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby jackholexxxx » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:09 pm

Maybe I am misunderstanding, but I would have expected it to work like this:

Add a download using <CTRL-Y>
Let it download half way
Close newsbin
Reopen newsbin

In this scenario I would expect it to pick up where it left off and not re-download parts.

But if I:
Add a download using <CTRL-Y>
Let it download half way
Delete it form the download list
Re-add with <CTRL-Y>

Then I would expect it to start from scratch.

Is it currently working differently?
jackholexxxx
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/01/04

Postby TBlack » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:27 pm

In both of your scenarios, 6.60 restarts the download (after any interruption) from the beginning because the Post was added to the Download List initially with a Ctrl-Y input or Selection. Previous versions did not do this....NB would pick up where it left off on any partially downloaded file placed in the Download List by any means.

Thanks
Tom
TBlack
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby bobsmo » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:22 pm

TBlack wrote:In both of your scenarios, 6.60 restarts the download (after any interruption) from the beginning because the Post was added to the Download List initially with a Ctrl-Y input or Selection. Previous versions did not do this....NB would pick up where it left off on any partially downloaded file placed in the Download List by any means.

Thanks

+1 to revert back to the way it previously worked.
bobsmo
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/24/04

Postby bobsmo » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:20 pm

Interesting.....finally had a reason to close down Newsbin during a download right (queued btw using Ctrl-Y) and when re-opened (even after a reboot as well), it did not start from scratch, but picked up from where I closed it down.

So for me, still working the same.
bobsmo
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby TBlack » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:27 pm

I just had it happen again this morning. Ctrl-Y duplicated the files already received until it got to the new ones. Once NB UnRar'd the file, it left the duplicates in the d/l directory.

Thanks
Tom
TBlack
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby bobsmo » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:36 pm

Aha, it could be the fact then that I do not use NB to UnRar.
bobsmo
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby TBlack » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:40 pm

Ctrl-Y input into the download list is the key.
Tom
TBlack
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Return to V6 Technical Support