NZB download behavior is changed, how to restore?

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

NZB download behavior is changed, how to restore?

Postby megalomando » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:05 pm

I have been using 6.81 and upgraded to the new beta and have lost functionality I am used to.

I always find a desired file, say on NZBstars. They offer NZB files to download from I choose a movie called XYZ. When I click on the NZB it creates a tab in Newsbin and shows me the contents of the NZB. Some of those files within like XYZ sample.rar & par files I don't want, I select XYZ.rar, right click, select "download to existing folder" & then choose the desired drive & folder to put XYZ into. It sends my selection to my desired folder and unrars. Easy Peasy. Movies go to the movie hard drive/folders, music goes to the music hard drive/folders.

Not so now. With the new beta when I click on a NZB on the internet and send it to Newsbin, it automatically starts downloading everything into the one, same folder. Could be music, videos, pdf files, all NZB goes to the same place.

I've searched for a switch for the old download method which works perfect for my needs but can't find it. Reverting back to 6.81 & all works as before, no residual issues but if I want to deal with the obfuscated files I need to use the updated Newsbin. What do I have to do to have the new Newsbin download as it always did?
megalomando
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/09/04

Re: NZB download behavior is changed, how to restore?

Postby Quade » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:44 am

The issue is that modern obscured NZB's need to be fed directly to the download list to work properly. You can still load the NZB using the file menu but Drag an Drop and double-click goes directly to download.

By using path variables, you can send the contents of each NZB to NZB Specific folders. "X:\Download\$(NZBFILE)\".

If you never use obscured NZBs then you could revert to 6.82. I've thought of a way to work around this issue but it's not in there now.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby megalomando » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:31 am

Hi Quade,

Thanks for the reply. So far the only files I've not been able to download are the ones that I've assumed had been removed & not available any longer.

There have been increasingly more and more files that instead of seeing specific names like xyz.part001.rar I see as ASD57Dghj$hj899g.part001.rar and invariably most of those end up as failed files. To date, all of those that end up like that, I have to right click & redownload the failed ones as Download no filters. Then, slowly they get assimilated in Newsbin & maybe 20 minutes later, the desired file is assembled properly.

Not sure if those are the obfuscated files, but I have started seeing this NZB behavior lately and the first handful I threw out but now know to reload the failed ones and thus far, all have processed.

Think I'll wait till you have your idea engaged and then upgrade. As it is, I can still do it easier the older way though as mentioned, some take a long time to process.

Thank you.
megalomando
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/09/04

Postby Quade » Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:53 pm

Not sure if those are the obfuscated files, but I have started seeing this NZB behavior lately and the first handful I threw out but now know to reload the failed ones and thus far, all have processed

Yeah obscured and 6.90B12 works with them as long as AutoPAR is enabled. Some are worse than others though. The next version will improve the obscured support again.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support