Bug when loading NZBs to one post list

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Bug when loading NZBs to one post list

Postby Ocean » Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:12 pm

When NewsBin 6.82 is set to load NZBs to one post list, there is some unexpected and problematic behavior:

1. Newsbin downloads the files into a single folder instead of separating them by original NZB.

2. Upon automatic UnRAR, Newsbin does not correctly rename any files after the first.
Ocean
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/21/04

Re: Bug when loading NZBs to one post list

Postby Quade » Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:33 pm

Don't feed NZBs to the post list anymore. Not if you intend to download them. Modern NZB's need to go to the download list directly.

If you can email me some problematic, won't rename properly, NZB's I can check them out. I just gave Dex a new beta for the forum. Not sure when it's going to be up.

ts@newsbin.com
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Ocean » Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:00 pm

It's not NZB specific - but to clarify, it happens when I go to File \ Load NZBs, and choose multiple NZB files. They all come into a post list by default - after which, I send them to be downloaded.

If I use a Watch folder, it avoids both of these issues - but I think it's fair to say that the average user would expect the same functionality if they came in through the File \ Load NZBs menu.
Ocean
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:16 pm

It's not NZB specific - but to clarify, it happens when I go to File \ Load NZBs, and choose multiple NZB files. They all come into a post list by default - after which, I send them to be downloaded.

Right and I'm saying if you want a successful download, you don't want to do it this way. Drag and drop, using an NZB Autoload folder or double-clicking in Windows explorer can all feed the NZBs directly to the download list. Then each one can have a unique download folder.

I'd guess most users aren't feeding NZBs using the menu. On the other hand, maybe "file load" should obey the "feed directly to download list" flag too. I'm thinking I'll go that route. Make "Load" work the same as double-click or drag and drop.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Ocean » Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:24 pm

Sounds good - that would have the benefit of no longer breaking the folder and rename functions.

At that point, I'm not sure if there is still any reason to maintain the single post list configuration option.
Ocean
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:03 pm

I'm reluctant to completely remove the ability to look at the post list of NZB's in case you want to actually look at them. On the other hand, one option would be to always feed all NZB's to a NZB History in the groups list so, people could load up and review all the NZB's they've fed. So, you'd feed to download list and if you really want to examine the NZB you could load the NZB history into a post list.

If I did that I could load then delete the NZB's from disk too.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Return to V6 Technical Support