Problem with auto unrar deleting files

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Problem with auto unrar deleting files

Postby jkaufman » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:59 am

I have been using newsbin for years, and just recently came across a problem. The files that I have been downloading lately apparently have the same named file within the RAR file twice, so when the auto un-rar runs it un-rar's as it is supposed to, but then overwrites the file. So what I am left with is typically the sample file and the much larger file is gone. I have changed the settings to delete the rar files to recycle bin, so that I can restore the files and then re un-rar so that the larger file is kept. Is there a way that newsbin could append a number or something during the un-rar process when this file name conflict arises?
jkaufman
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Re: Problem with auto unrar deleting files

Postby DThor » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:36 am

It looks like someone out there has a bug in a script since this has just started cropping up recently. Looks like they're naming a sample of a media file the same as the primary, which can happen, but the really stupid thing is that the rar spec allows it and doesn't flag a filename collision. Imho if you're not going to do that, then you should be implementing a proper versioning system. The rar spec is closed, so you have to just fly with it. Quade has now seen an example of it and is mulling on it. Winrar prompts you for an overwrite, that's not going to work terribly well with an automated extraction system.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Re: Problem with auto unrar deleting files

Postby Quade » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:33 am

I investigated this yesterday. It is new and I suspect is a bug in the posting scripts. I've made a change to work around this in Newsbin.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support