"ERROR-AssembleFiles: No Filename - Filename from subject"?

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

"ERROR-AssembleFiles: No Filename - Filename from subject"?

Postby noozcruz » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:13 am

I installed version 6 thinking it was a release... oops! I wish there were a quick way to reset the screen layout to version 5's; I'm finding the dragging and docking counter intuitive and basically I've pretty much resigned myself to accepting where the program decides the screens should go... I don't seem to be in control of that at all!

At any rate, that's not why I'm posting: as the subject line indicates, I'm getting this error message which I never got using version 5, like ever:

"ERROR - AssembleFiles: No Filename - Filename from subject:" followed by what is visibly the subject line followed by the file name, which kind of negates the error message.

Newsbin won't process further and the download stops there, but the files do appear to be on the server. It seems Newsbin starts by processing the PAR files : could it be that a discrepancy is being detected between the PAR files and the main ones and this is preventing the download from proceeding? I've noticed that sometimes the PAR files will rename an entire multi-rar, or that the PAR files are not named the same as the multi-rar: maybe 6.21 is a bit anal about file namings by default? How do I bypass this behavior?

TIA for any help!
noozcruz
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 09/23/04

Re: "ERROR-AssembleFiles: No Filename - Filename from subjec

Postby Quade » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:11 am

This is a sign you're getting no connection and records at all from your news server. I'd look in the logging tab. Most of the time if this happens on upgrade it means your firewall is blocking Newsbin off the net.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Moondawgie » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:08 pm

Quade wrote:This is a sign you're getting no connection and records at all from your news server. I'd look in the logging tab. Most of the time if this happens on upgrade it means your firewall is blocking Newsbin off the net.

Adding my 2 cents as information which might be helpful to others.

I've discovered that another source of such problems is the use of VPN connections (Most often with VyprVPN and OverPlay, much less often with IPVanish), which often cease working without any notification, resulting in long periods of time where "internet access" via the VPN is lost. In such situations my usual internet access remains, so the usual Windows popup notifying me of a loss of internet access does not appear. But my connection's IP address automatically changes which results in the denial of connections with the nntp servers being accessed at the time by Newsbin. I don't know that until I look in Newsbin's logging tab.
MS Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit I- ASUS P8Z77-V LE; Intel i7-3770K 3.5 GHz; 16.0GB DDR3; 500 Mbps cable internet.
Moondawgie
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/17/03

Postby noozcruz » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:48 pm

I don't use VPN connection or IP redirect, so I don't think that's the issue. I don't get disconnect notices from the OS either.

But I do keep getting this message whenever there's any file corruption in the downloaded files (like missing parts). I turned off the AutoPar management and I'm back in control. There were even times when the Par rebuild would fail and somehow ALL the downloaded files were erased.

By handling things manually, I've been able to rebuild the rar sets and extract files where the version 6 auto-management would fail and give up, with the message. I never had problems with the version 5 auto-management routine: would it be possible to re-instate that behavior? I don't see how this new routine can be better than what was there before.

I'm still running 6.21 build 1534. I'm totally paranoid, having been thrown into a beta routine that I totally avoid as a rule. Is the next rc version better?

Thanks.
noozcruz
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:31 pm

6.3 has already been released. I'd give it a try.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby shek » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:41 pm

I am receiving the same error message. I am running newsbin pro 6.31rc2 64 bit with windows 7. I have tried disabling the firewall and virus protection and the ssl connection. Please help. logging shows:

[19:22:21] HIGH NNTPSocket - ARTICLE <1318905310.43763.1@eu.news.astraweb.com>

[19:22:23] HIGH NNTPSocket - 430 no such article
[19:22:23] HIGH NNTPSocket - Socket HandleError - Server: news.giganews.com SendCommand - Server Reports that a Post isn't on the server: 430 no such article
[19:22:23] HIGH Download Engine Giganews - INT_OpenItem -DL_DI - Failed to retrieve Article from Server::Giganews
shek
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/26/10

Postby itimpi » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:45 pm

The 430 type errors are from the server saying it does not have the post that Newsbin is requesting.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby noozcruz » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:29 pm

There's something very weird going on. I downloaded a complete rar set which had a lot of incompletes. Before I got a chance to assemble incompletes, I accidentally closed Newsbin. When I restarted Newsbin, it began downloading the entire rar set despite the fact that they already exist in the download folder.

I also can't seem to to just attend to the par files in the download listing. Newsbin won't let me just download the par files. BTW, this is with AutoPar disabled in the options.

Things are fine with complete and intact rar sets, but if there are issues, it seems that some new management logic in version 6 is interfering with the ability to assemble incompletes and use PAR to re-constitute them. In the last several weeks, whenever I've manually tended to reconstitution of broken archives, I've successfully rebuilt them where Newsbin 6 failed to do so every time.

The only conclusion I can come to is that there is something wrong with the way version 6 handles more unusual situations. I don't have the time to debug and figure out what is going on exactly, but I can tell you that version 5 worked a lot more predictably. There is something wrong in the way version 6 operates. BTW, this is with version 6.3.
noozcruz
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:12 pm

You should probably run 6.31RC3.

When I restarted Newsbin, it began downloading the entire rar set despite the fact that they already exist in the download folder.

Has been addressed.

When you hit the + button, see the files and unpause the PAR files. what happens?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby noozcruz » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:40 pm

Quade wrote:You should probably run 6.31RC3.

When I restarted Newsbin, it began downloading the entire rar set despite the fact that they already exist in the download folder.

Has been addressed.

When you hit the + button, see the files and unpause the PAR files. what happens?

Nothing is paused: the listing shows the PAR files as Downloaded, but the files are MIA in the Download folder.

Downloading RC3 now....
noozcruz
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby noozcruz » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:43 pm

On running RC3: Newsbin is now downloading the entire RAR sets for a third time.... still can't assemble the PAR files...
Last edited by noozcruz on Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
noozcruz
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:40 pm

Well, I'd add one of the files and watch it download then see what happens. You ought to be able to watch Newsbin and watch the download folder and see what it's doing. Are you sure it didn't download, unrar and then delete the rar files? That's what it does by default. Still not hearing what happened with the PAR files.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby noozcruz » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:50 pm

***UPDATE: how I reconstitued the pars and the rar set:

1. Quit Newsbin.
2. There are files in the download folder called "PostFileName_FileName.vol00n+0n.par2_yEnc.nb2" so I just trimmed the name to "FileName.vol00n+0n.par2" and they became valid PAR files.
3. Ran QuickPar and fixed the rar set.
4. Extracted the data from the rar set. Done.

The question is really why step 1 is needed... For some reason Newsbin 6 RC3 still doesn't let me save or assemble individual PAR files.
noozcruz
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:38 pm

Again, hit the + button to expand the files in the download list and see what they say "Downloaded" or "Downloading". If Downloading, Newsbin doesn't think they're done.

If they say downloaded but, are still NB2 files, you need to watch the log messages for errors like "Unable to rename file" or something like that.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby noozcruz » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:13 am

Quade wrote:Again, hit the + button to expand the files in the download list and see what they say "Downloaded" or "Downloading". If Downloading, Newsbin doesn't think they're done.

It says "Downloaded".

Quade wrote:If they say downloaded but, are still NB2 files, you need to watch the log messages for errors like "Unable to rename file" or something like that.

Log says: "HIGH - Par2Repair - Multi-core 1.2", that's it.

In this state I can't touch the nb2 files because Newsbin is still working with them. One odd thing: I used "Assemble Incompletes" on the entire archive (the title at the very top of the download page) and now they're labeled "Downloaded" on the download page but on the Search page, the PAR files are still labeled as "Downloading".Why this discrepancy? Newsbin seems to be stuck in this status until I quit and start doing things by hand. The RAR parts all seem to have assembled correctly in the download folder.
noozcruz
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby noozcruz » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:35 pm

The same procedure I enumerated 3 posts above worked to reconstitute the rar archives discussed in my last post. The data extracted successfully. Couldn't do it while Newsbin was open. If I had listened Newsbin, I would have given up on these rar sets. The fact that I can recover them without Newsbin shows that something is wrong somewhere, possibly with Newsbin's management of PAR.
noozcruz
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:37 pm

The files aren't being renamed. Because you're not seeing errors in the logging tab. It's not clear what's doing on. You might want to use "Procmon" set it to only show Newsbin's file access and then try downloading a couple files and see what happens. What you're looking for is errors in the rename step. I think you should tell your virus scanner to ignore the download folder for now too.

You might want to erase the autopar2.db3 from the data folder and see if anything changes. It's in the data folder. You'll probably have to exit Newsbin to delete it.

Just keep in mind that this works normally for most people so, you need to look for anything odd in your setup.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Return to V6 Technical Support