Good news and Bad

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Good news and Bad

Postby andy » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:08 am

Good news for summer fans (maybe that's an unintended pun) because the longest day of winter is almost here. Bad news for those of us in Texas, the only place where the globe is actually warming. Two other items:

1) I downloaded the 64 bit upgrade to a functional 32bitty installation. After installing v6.2 on my new 64bitty machine running the awful childrens' virus Win-7 opsys and struggling to reinstate my filters, sigs etc I've downloaded up to five pure duplicates of thousands of image files (typ. 100k-5mb each) this week. Have the options box checked as always. Pretty sure no obvious error in Options. My filters, sigs etc are all kept in one USB HDD and the files downloaded to another. The dupes are all there, politely named "filename-(0003).jpg" or whatever, all exactly alike otherwise.

2) Would like to turn off the "Critical Error" box that comes on at the start of every session — permanently. Here in Texas it is not a "Critical' error unless you forgot to reload your 45.

I searched the HELP and FORUMS but didn't find answers. Answers are elusive little buggers sometimes.

Thank you.
andy
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/04/03

Re: Good news and Bad

Postby DThor » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:49 am

The name of a file isn't used to determine duplicate status at all, it's a hash of the whole file, so even if the image looks the same, it's probably been subtly edited, like with a banner. You can easily test the status of your setting by downloading a file, then trying again. If this downloads, try unsetting dupe, then enabling again. Maybe it's stuck and needs a kick? Some settings got confused when upgrading, I don't think this is one, but you never know.

I'm not in front of the pc atm, but there's a log setting for the severity of the error in options.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby Quade » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:07 pm

1 - There's an option to disable the critical error popup. It's in the "Confirmation Windows" section of the options.

2 - Makes me wonder if the signature cache is damaged. Hopefully you have more backups. I'd confirm that the new install is actually using the data folder you think it is. The "open data folder" option should tell you for sure.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby andy » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:51 am

Thanks, DT & Quade --
I had some of those considerations under control, and am checking the rest. The files were dupes, so the sig file is being checked. There must be another somewhere.
andy
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/04/03

Return to V6 Technical Support