NZB Watch Folder and NZB Loaded folder after upgrading v6.81

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

NZB Watch Folder and NZB Loaded folder after upgrading v6.81

Postby walbatross » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:30 pm

After a clean install of Windows 10 I decided to upgrade my version on Newsbin Pro to v6.81 Build 5080. I believe I've put all my settings back to where I like them but I can't for the life of me figure out what is going on with the NZB watch folder. When I drop a file in my watch folder it gets moved to the Data Folder > Nzbs, (it used to get moved into a subfolder called "Loaded" from the NZB watch folder). But that isn't the worst part, the files are also getting copied into another subfilder called Nzbs, (Data Folder > Nzbs > Nzbs after completion so I'm ending up with a great amount of redundancy.
walbatross
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/18/11

Re: NZB Watch Folder and NZB Loaded folder after upgrading v

Postby Quade » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:00 pm

That's how it works now. They're not very big and they get purged periodically automatically as they age so, you don't have to worry about cleanup.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Ocean » Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:42 pm

Quade wrote:That's how it works now. They're not very big and they get purged periodically automatically as they age so, you don't have to worry about cleanup.

What I'm seeing with v6.82 is that rather than getting moved, they're getting copied. So now, as I see it, there are 3 non-ideal issues going on:

1. Because Newsbin does not clean up the watch folder as it completes each set, it's not easy to tell which NZBs are still being worked on and which ones aren't by looking in the Watch folder.

2. The user still needs to manually clean up finished NZBs in the Watch folder, because they are being left there.

3. There is now a record of downloaded files in Newsbin's data folders (inside the nzb\nzb folders) that will remain for an indeterminate amount of time, requiring that the user manually clean out *three* separate folders after every session.

I'm not sure what's gained by copying the NZB files insted of leaving them in the Watch folder. Leaving them there would be the cleaner solution - except you would either want to delete the NZB files as each set was completed or go back to the older behavior of moving them into a Loaded subfolder.
Ocean
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/21/04

Postby Quade » Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:49 pm

1 - Within 10 seconds of the NZB being fed into the watch folder, it'll get pulled into Newsbin. Newsbin won't do anything to the NZB during or after download so, you're not going to get any download feedback by looking at the watch folder.

2 - I can consider moving instead of copy. Many NZB's are either rars or 7zips these days. For them, the NZB is read out of the file and fed to the data folder so the original compressed file isn't moved.

3 - They get deleted automatically when they get old. Part of Newsbin's periodic data folder purge. The default is delete anything over 2 days old. So you don't need to do any cleanup in the data folder.

I'll think about your ideas.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Ocean » Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:15 pm

Thank you, Quade.
Ocean
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby walbatross » Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:11 am

Any updates on this issue?
Now using clean install of Windows 11 and Newsbin v6.90 and NZB files from the NZB Watch Folders are not being moved or deleted automatically after being added to the download list. As Ocean reported the NZB are only being copied to the NZBs folder. This forces me to manually delete NZBs from the NZB Watch Folders otherwise next time I open Newsbin it downloads duplicates of all the NZBs left in the NZB Watch Folders.
walbatross
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/18/11

Postby Ocean » Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:50 am

walbatross wrote:Any updates on this issue?
Now using clean install of Windows 11 and Newsbin v6.90 and NZB files from the NZB Watch Folders are not being moved or deleted automatically after being added to the download list. As Ocean reported the NZB are only being copied to the NZBs folder. This forces me to manually delete NZBs from the NZB Watch Folders otherwise next time I open Newsbin it downloads duplicates of all the NZBs left in the NZB Watch Folders.

That's interesting, because I'm using v6.90 as well, and I'm not seeing this issue any more.

For me, NZB files do get moved (not copied), and they are indeed getting automatically cleaned up from the Nzbs\NzbAutoload folder on a regular basis.
Ocean
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:34 am

Wonder if it could be a permissions problem? Like the user running Newsbin can't write or delete from the NZB watch folders?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Return to V6 Technical Support